Sunday, February 21, 2010


This morning I brought my daughter to the hospital emergency.  What I thought was just a pimple turned out to be a staph infection.  In case you have never heard of a staph infection, here is the explanation I got from

Staph infections are usually caused by the S. Aureus (shortened for Staphylococcus Aureus ) bacteria. This bacteria is usually found in the nose or on the skin of a person. They are usually harmless and only cause relatively minor skin infections. However if the bacterium does enter the bloodstream it can spread into the urinary tract, lungs and heart of a person ultimately resulting in a very deadly situation. The illnesses caused by the S. Aureus bacteria can range from minor skin infections such as pimples, boils, and cellulitis to much more serious and life threatening illnesses such as pneumonia, meningitis, septicema, osteomyelitis, and endocarditis.

Scary stuff.  The doctor had to drain the pimple (which was actually pea sized) and gave me a cream to apply four times a day. If the cream does not work within two days, she will take oral antibiotics.  If two days later, it still does not look better, it's onto IV antibiotics.   My poor daughter was brave 'till the end when it was so painful she screamed.  I felt so bad for her.  Her eye is now pretty swollen, halfway shut.

I wish I could stay home with her for the next few days.  Hopefully it will look better by Tuesday and we won't have to use any other antibiotics.

1 comment:

  1. Staph infection is sure is a problem, but it will go down with proper treatment in less than 10-15 days. So do not worry about anything