Sunday, January 24, 2010

On Loneliness

“We're born alone, we live alone, we die alone. Only through our love and friendship can we create the illusion for the moment that we're not alone.” - Orson Wells

I think the excitement and newness of living here has worn off, and the reality of being away from family and friends is setting in.  I'm in between that stage of 'getting to know this new city' and 'having a circle of friends'.  Although I'm here with my husband and four year old daughter, I feel the need to connect with others. 

My world seems very small right now.  I go to work, come home, do chores and scan facebook, then wait for the next work day to come.  I'm ready for the next step, which is having a social life!  I'm too broke to join any clubs or go out to the bars.  I am wondering how to go about organizing a group of some sort to get together with every week and do.....  I really don't care what.  Have coffee, do crafts, chat, whatever.  I feel like a desperate, friendless social reject at this point.

2 comments:

  1. I normally suggest coming out to curling for people new in town. However, there's only about two months left in the season. Still, if you want to pop out on Tuesday or Thursday, you'd still be more than welcome. We'd find you a game. And we should have a beginners clinic on Saturday from 1-3 pm.

    There's the mass registration for these things, but that takes place in Sept, which is a bit far away. Call Arctic College and see if there are any courses starting. Keep an eye out on the boards at the post office and super markets to see if there's anything going on as well.

    Additionally drop me a line if you want to go out for coffee or something. I'd be happy to give you any advice I might have about town.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much! I will be sure to make the mass registration in September. I just signed my daughter up for swimming and so I got to talk to some of the other parents there. Thanks you for the invitation to go curling, I might take you up on that some Tuesday night!

    ReplyDelete